- wonder, awe, and needing meaning is hardwired into us and has large benefits
- Spirituality, through the following, helps the body maintain homeostasis with stress going back to a healthy baseline
- reflective practices
- Spirituality, motivation, and optimism helps individuals recover from illnesses
- Communal spirituality (churches or religious congregations) also help improve our "health-relevant behaviors"
- merely walking in the door of a house of worship is good for wellness, attendance helps reduce depression, and following communal practices fosters self-discipline which is beneficial to health
- often people who provide services benefit more than the ones that receive them in terms of reduced depression and physical health
- religious communities also strive to foster gratitude which helps reduce depression